< Woopz Productionz.: Advantages of a Chinese Name

Woopz Productionz.


Advantages of a Chinese Name


Published by lihua on Saturday, September 02, 2006 at 1:58 am.

~Received a very nice message today. Made my day. Maybe there's really something about Manyins's fortune chocolates.

I just wrote a damn long post about this issue i'm damn pissed about.

But then i realised that if i published it i will never be able to erase off the label of immaturity people will associate with me.

I still insist it is not immature, but i have a sneaking suspicions no one else will think so.

BAh!

So i won't publish it.

Already 2 am, still wide awake and very bored. Cannot be arsed about my pending reports. Heck, every week i have pending reports because new reports are due weekly. Stupid.

Chatting very chattily with the other lihua about how we got our names. We have the same names, but different surnames.

And so do another 5,733,842 people in the world. I have a very common name. Something like Siti or Ali in Malay terms. Like John and Smith. Mine is the chinese version.

But i still love my name. Thus, i don't have an english name.

I used to have really cools alternative(!) names like, Kaylen (modified from KaiLan, vegetables, in honour of my family business - i have very creative friends) and Ice.

I was really serious about the name Ice at a time, but parents were disliking it, because, well, it's cold, and its also a name for Syabu, a drug.

In fact, one of my more talented friends wrote a poem about Fire and Ice, of which, very likely was referring to me. Ah, those were the innocent days.

I used to hate my name, cause it never seemed cool enough to match with names like, May, Michelle, Amber or, heck even Mary. Yes, that was me. I was once an insecure dimwit.

But not anymore. I love my name to bits.

And its also very useful.

I shall tell this remarkable story of long lost friends who found each other after a gap of 14 years.

See, it was at this party, Cheng's party. Cheng invited her friends from college as well as a few of us high school mates. There was this girl, she introduced herself as Cheryl or some other name. And my fren Yu Chen introduced herself as 'Yu Chen'. And this Cheryl was like 'Gan Yu Chen?'. You were my primary 1 classmate/best buddy in Sarawak! And so they found each other. Of course this was not what exactly happened in chronological order, but you get the gist.

Now, Cheryl introduced herself as Cheryl and Yu Chen didn't even blinked an eyelid. Cause she doesn't remember her friend as a Cheryl and she has 54,074 other friends with the name Cheryl. If Yu Chen had used an english name, say, Mary (i think this is her english name, but i seldom hear her using it...), would they have realised that they were once best buddies? Very unlikely.

Thus, you have just witnessed the advantages of sticking to your Chinese name. Be very proud of our roots.

And if idiots cannot pronounce our names, that's because they are idiots. I will not change my name for the sake of dimwits. And I'm proud of Zhang Zi Yi and Gong Li cause they didn't use english names. Same cannot be said for Lucy Liu or Jacky Chan. Actually, Jacky Chan should use some super cool name like Xeng Loong, which is a romanization of his chinese stage name. So much nicer than Jacky Chan, kan?

Cheers.



[lihua]
Typical KL-ite
Part-time Biotechnology student
Full-time daughter


Think You Know Me? I Studied @
Caritas Kepong
Ringrose Kindy DU
SRJK (C) Puay Chai
Catholic High School PJ
Help Institute
Monash University Malaysia


Blogging to keep friends updated on my current life.
But I suspect no one wants to know.



    THINGS I WANT!
  • 1. Spanking New Camera Phone!
  • 2. Earrings xD
  • 3. Zhng my LAPTOP!
  • 4. MAHA 2500mAH Rechargeable Batteries!
  • 5. White! In-Ear Earphones (I relli want!)
  • 6. A pendant xD
  • 7. Fabulous new BAG.
  • 8. Beekeenee










Song List



Powered by Blogger

make money online blogger templates


Since 23rd June 2006


© 2006 Woopz Productionz. | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.